Register to Vote
- The DEADLINE to register to vote in the November 3, 2020, election is October 5.
- To CHECK YOUR REGISTRATION on-line in two minutes, CLICK HERE. (Ohio Secretary of State)
- To REGISTER TO VOTE ON-LINE with driver's license or state ID in six minutes, CLICK HERE. (Ohio Secretary of State)
- To REGISTER TO VOTE BY MAIL fill in this FORM, supplying the last four digits of your Social Security Number, sign and mail it to the Board of Elections, 180 Milan Ave. Ste. 4, Norwalk, OH 44857
Of the People
PolitiFact – PolitiFact is an independent fact-checking journalism website aimed at bringing you the truth in politics. PolitiFact won the Pulitzer Prize in 2009 for its fact-checking of the presidential election.
NPR – On-air and online, NPR presents fact-based, independent journalism that examines and airs diverse perspectives. In a time of media fragmentation and sound-bites, NPR has succeeded by focusing on its core: in-depth, quality news.
League of Women Voters – The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Huron County Board of Elections
Ohio Democratic Party
National Democratic Party
Melissa James for County Commissioner 2020
Melissa James' stump speech ... Please give a listen.
Please support the Huron County Imagination Library.
And thanks to our own Kati Hicks for her vision and work in helping to bring this program to Huron County.
News Release: CLICK HERE
Scholarship Essay Contest
Congratulations to Griffin Schwan for winning the $2,500 scholarship in our essay contest. Griffin is a 2020 graduate of St. Paul High School in Norwalk.
Thank you to all of the students that entered. We are impressed by the many thoughtful, well-written essays submitted.
To read the winning essay, CLICK HERE.
To see what the essay requirements were, CLICK HERE.
Jul. 21 Communications & Outreach Team Meeting
July 2020 meeting REMOTE
Jul. 22 HCDP Policy Committee
6:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Jul. 29 Central & Executive Committee Meeting
6 PM Dinner / 7 PM Meeting
Aug. 17 Huron County Fair 2020
Huron County Fair Aug 17-22, 2020
In The News
Explanatory and under-reported news on the issues.
Public school educators to state lawmakers: Fix EdChoice
(Canton Repository, Jan. 17, 2020) "The problem is how state lawmakers have funded the vouchers – by deducting the money from the public school district where the child lives – and how state legislators have not required the private schools accepting the vouchers to follow the same rules they do."
3 Republican Former EPA Heads Rebuke Trump EPA on Climate Policy & Science
(Inside Climate News, June 12, 2019) REGULATORY CAPTURE: Letter from SEVEN former EPA Chiefs sparks House hearing.
Can This Radical Approach to Dairies Save US Farms?
(Civil Eats, Mar. 11, 2019)
- California, the country’s largest dairy-producing state, is currently LOSING ABOUT ONE DAIRY FARM A WEEK.
- Wisconsin, the second-largest producer, is LOSING TWO A DAY;
- [Canada implemented] SUPPLY MANAGEMENT—a program ... to stabilize prices for its own dairy farmers
- The U.S., by contrast, embraced [the] “get big or get out” mandate favoring industrial-scale dairies flooding the market with low-cost milk.
Industrial Agriculture, an Extraction Industry Like Fossil Fuels, a Growing Driver of Climate Change
(Inside Climate News, Jan. 25, 2019)""Mega-sized farming encourages practices that degrade the soil, waste fertilizer and mishandle manure, all of which directly increase emissions of greenhouse gases. At the same time, it discourages practices like "no-till" farming and crop rotation that grab carbon dioxide from the air, store it in the soil and improve soil health. ... Agricultural policy has long emphasized over-production, propped up by government subsidies that favor certain crops. Lawmakers have been unwilling to change the system, largely because of a powerful farm lobby and the might of agribusinesses that profit from technological advancements.""